Hibiki Kugenin, commonly called Siegfried, was the Fifth Fist of Ragnarök and is currently one of the leading captains of the Shinpaku Alliance. He is also called "the Immortal Composer" due to the fact that he composes music by using his battles as inspiration for his melodies.
Siegfried is a tall young man with very long silver hair down to his waist with locks in the front down to his shoulders. He has a dark red coat with a hat with a feather on top to match it and dark boots and pants. During his time in Ragnarök, he wore dark gloves with a golden insignia shaped like the Roman numeral for "5". Since his training for the D of D Tournament, Siegfried has become considerably more muscular, most noticeably in his shoulders and back. Recently, Shigure has given him Steel Arm Guards along with the rest of the Shinpaku Alliance.
Not much is known about Siegfried's history. He comes from a wealthy family that used to own a Zaibatsu. There's a quote that says "If there is land next to your house, you may not enter it might belong to Siegfried." His family owns a large amount of land. His love for music started at an early age and his love for fighting developed some time later in his life. The combination of these two loves is what eventually gave birth to his unique fighting style. His reason for joining Ragnarök was to find more remarkable fighters to challenge, and to use those fights as inspiration for his music. During that time, he met and befriended Thor. At some point in his life he fell in love with a violin named "Duratin".
Siegfried has a tendency to hum or sing classical music during his fights and names his attacks after different music scores and compositions. Siegfried is most often singing from ether 'Night on Bald Mountain' by Modest Mussorgsky, or an excerpt from Mozart's 'Requiem' as the music played in the background. He demonstrates great loyalty to whatever he associates music with and gets angry at those who make him lose track of his music. His talent in music, including the piano, violin, tambourine, and the bassoon, landed him a scholarship at a well-known school for music, and has even been consulted for musical advice on the bassoon. This musical loyalty carries onto his defection from Ragnarök to Shinpaku Alliance, before which he stated his respect for Haruo Niijima and desired to hear the melody that the latter had "composed", and during which he comically explains in a song that he sat by the sea mourning the limit to his music until "Niijima-sama" came and played a flute-accordion, convincing him to join Shinpaku, the motive for which he states that he has heard a beautiful melody. His obsession with music carries further to his reconnaissance during the camping trip, when he strains from being unable to write music until he hears Tōchūmaru and his animal friends playing some music nearby.
Siegfried is Thor's best friend, as the two are very close to one another and have known each other since their times from Ragnarök. They always have each others back.
There's a running gag that has Siegfried noticeably display bizarre and even creepy or gross techniques that would leave normal fighters dead from such moves, such as when Lugh snapped his neck, Siegfried snapped it back into place, prompting Kenichi and Niijima to wonder what training in Tibet he went through. He also is able to move his head in a 180 degree motion like an owl, creeping out his opponents several times. In battle, as noted by Niijima, when Siegfried believes he's right, he's quick to prove it by fighting in battle.
With music as motivation for his loyalty, Siegfried demonstrates his loyalty to great, even extreme extents. He tried to swim across a river with three broken ribs to support Shinpaku in its final fight against Ragnarök, was willing to sacrifice his life for the rest of the Shinpaku members while being strangled by Raichi Li, and searched for it for three days non-stop during the DoD Tornament, all for his "Beloved Demon King" Niijima.
It is also revealed that Siegfried is very wealthy. He is solely responsible for providing all the funds necessary to reconstruct and renovate the Shinpaku Alliance's headquarters. Siegfried also seems to have some aptitude as a magician, being able to pull a bird out of his hat. He also appears to be quite an animal lover, as he claims to have 20 dogs and cats.
During his time as one of the Eight Fists of Ragnarök, Siegfried was noted to be the 5th strongest member. After joining the Shinpaku Alliance and undergoing extensive self-training before the DofD Tournament, he became the its member, besides possibly Ikki Takeda. Because of this, he was able to fight on par with members of Yomi, only losing because of the bamboo shrapnel blown into his eyes from the Shinpaku Alliance's interference. During his fight with Hermit, who had also undergone extensive training, he was able to fight on par with him and just narrowly lost.
- Counterattack Expert: Like his nickname, he appears to be invincible, always getting back on his feet after taking a severe beating. In reality, he actually falls back on his own after timing it with the minor physical contact from his opponents to fool them. This is due to his fighting style. Siegfried is one of the few fighters in the series who uses a style of martial arts that they invented. It is referred to as "Go no Sen" which means "Striking last but Hitting First". He also names most of his attacks after musical terms. As the name of his implies, this style is focused solely on strong counter, dodges, and ukemi techniques that allow him to react at the slightest margin of an attack.During the DofD tournament, it was mentioned by the leader of the Capoeria Team that by spinning at an incredibly fast rate, Sieg can imitate the actions of a heavily weighted dradle, rebounding almost all kinds of physical resistance away from himself, which makes him a very difficult person to fight overall. Nevertheless, he has a critical weakness: he requires his opponent to attack first. He generally tries to cover this weakness by releasing large amounts of Killing Intent as he rushes at his enemy to cause them to attack him on instinct.
- Innate Talent: Despite the fact that he never received formal training from a master, Siegfried learned techniques just through observation. His abilities had increased immensely to such degree, that even the Elder commented on his talent while claiming that Siegfried would most definitely become a Master-Class Fighter. Given his singing personality, he is also a talented singer, being able to sing in the midst of battle and at times come up with new melodies on the spot.
- Keen Intellect: Constantly in battle, Siegfried has proven himself a highly perceptive combatant. By reading his opponent's movements from a single and quick scuffle, he can determine the true nature of his opponent's fighting style and primary battle tactics. He is able to read the flow an opponent's movements to easily follow it, effectively dodging all but the fastest and unorthodox attacks. This is done by being able to perceive and analyse the faintest noises and vibrations his opponents give off from their movements, even feeling the wind shifting around him and the signals the opponent's muscles give off. According to Asuka Akatsuki, one of Isshinsai Ogata's disciples, this is a very difficult ability to master for one who instinctively relies mainly on sight.
- Rhythm Reader: Siegfried stated that he has the ability to read the "rhythm" in others such as the gentleness Kisara hid in her Ragnarök days, the sorrow in Natsu Tanimoto, Rachel Stanley's strength to live against her own fate, etc.
- Acrobatic Skill: Most of Siegfried's attacks involve him rotating rapidly to accumulate both attacking and defensive power.
- Disguise Expert: Siegfried has great disguise skills, as he dressed as Hermit as part of a plan to induce the school idol into Shinpaku Alliance, Siegfried is able to effectively imitate Hermit's movements and defeat common Ragnarök grunts while maintaining the disguise.
- Enhanced Strength: While disguised as Hermit, Siegfried displayed enough strength that the grunts of Ragnarök were effectively fooled into thinking that he is the Chinese Kenpo martial artist. Ever since Siegfried returned from Tibet, he displayed amazing feats of strength such as when he threw two of the capoeira members through a stone wall. The force of which he threw them was powerful enough to split the concrete ground. His inner muscles, when strained, were capable of bouncing off a headbutt from the capoeira leader and multiple stabs at his vitals from the Vajra user without any signs of injury.
- Enhanced Flexibility: Siegfried's time in Tibet enabled him to achieve remarkable flexibility of the body, to the point where he can rotate his own neck at a full 180 degrees. It is thanks to this improved flexibility that he is able to survive an otherwise killing attack from a neck-snapping, able to brush it off quickly and continue fighting. He's also able to stretch his diaphragm to unusual proportions to gather a banshee-like scream.
- Enhanced Endurance: In order to effectively use his fighting style, Siegfried has developed an incredibly large amount of endurance to physical injuries, so much so that people are simply left in shock as to how much damage he can actually take during some of his fights. Siegfried's physical fortitude is great enough to enable him to fight against the likes of Berserker for a decent amount of time. He has also shown to fall from extremely great heights and land with taking little to no damage. He can even survive having his neck snapped by a member of Yomi. Kensei Ma has stated that his inner strength is impressive, and his endurance has even earned him compliments from every other master of Ryōzanpaku as well.
- Enhanced Speed: The training that Siegfried received from Tibet enhanced his speed to the point where he can traverse across several meters at high speed, as seen when he intercepted the attack on Ukita after Niijima finally gave an order to defend the former. It also goes for his attacking speed too, as he was able to counter and strike the vitals of the Vajra user in the blink of an eye.
Siegfried is first mentioned by Niijima, who details the results of the Fifth Fist with accounts from other gangs, who call him a "zombie fighter". He first appears in person, writing music as he sits by a desk and chases Niijima when the latter comes to spy on his discussion with Loki. Though he appears to be hit by Niijima's attacks, he easily catches up with the leader of Shinpaku and chases him throughout the neighbourhood while singing Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain. He finally catches Niijima as he dives into a sewer, singing Beethoven's 5th Symphony.
Siegfried is just about to finish his musical composition at the docks when Kenichi and Miu suddenly catch up to him and demand from Loki where Niijima is. Infuriated, Siegfried demands to attack them to compensate for the music he lost, and possibly to pick up some new melody during the fight, and faces Kenichi alone, constantly countering his attacks while pretending to take damage from Kenichi's hits. He is placed in a vulnerable position by Kenichi and becomes unable to dodge the latter's then unnamed Mubyōshi. After their battle, he goes on a journey to find himself. Niijima later convinces him to join the Shinpaku Alliance after being swayed by him, where he acts as the Alliance's combat leader, but mostly as Niijima's personal guard. When Berserker started attacking all the members of the Alliance, Siegfried tried fighting him only to be easily defeated to protect Niijima and has his unconscious body used by Niijima as a shield. After being healed by Kensei, he tries to leave and reveals he can fight of Kensei's anaesthetic with sheer will power. He takes his job as Niijima's personal guard very seriously, threatening even his own team mates if they go against Niijima who he calls his "dear demon king". Siegfried appears to be honourable to a degree, having reprimanded Niijima to persuade Kisara to join Shinpaku through a more grandiose method rather than the usual blackmail. He tends to only dodge attackers until Niijima orders him to attack and even feels pride if he was able to help Niijima in anyway, even when Niijima used his unconscious body as a human shield.
When Kenichi is left to fight against Ryūto all on his own, Siegfried and the other members of Shinpaku take on his bodyguards and cheer Kenichi on to win.
As the threat of Yami becomes apparent, Siegfried travels to Tibet for further training. When Li Raichi starts attacking the members from orders from YOMI, he steps in willing to sacrifice himself to save them. After Kenichi defeats her without injuring her due to his pride of not hurting a woman, her father Tenmon Li arrives and the Alliance starts fighting him. Niijima shouts at everyone to not fight him due to him discovering that his level is as the same as Kenichi's masters. This is proven true as Tenmon defeats all of them with ease till one of Kenichi's masters arrive and saves them from getting killed.
After Fortuna tries to take the members as his own children, Siegfried and the other injured members from their fights along side the arrived Natsu engage battle with the master opponent with Niijima giving them instructions on how to defeat him. With their combined efforts, they defeat Fortuna. They later all cheer Kenichi on to get up and defeat Shō Kanō.
As the school camping trip happens in Kenichi's school, Siegfried helps defend the classmates from Boris's Russian guards and takes them down from harming anyone (specifically Niijima).
Siegfried appears later as the Alliance goes to Okinawa to take down a Yami base. However, even though they had the lobby at their hotel secure for Ryōzanpaku to go through, the masters evade them and leave the alliance to believe they had a peaceful night.
After returning home, Niijima managed to get some data on Yami and planned to give it to the police to clear Ryozanpaku's name. When the Alliance was getting overwhelmed by their opponents, Siegfried, Thor, and Freya jumped out of a plane and arrived to help fight (though Thor landed off course due to his hesitation). They fight their opponents respectively and show how far they've come and defeat them just as Kenichi's group arrives. When the politician reveals that he's a master Yami member and destroys the data Niijima acquired, the Alliance fights him with Sakaki's assistance from the bushes. After Ishida is defeated, they return home having completed their objective.
Following the discovery of a Yami base, Siegfried and the rest of the alliance head out to the location with the masters. However, they are forced to stay due to the masters not wanting them to get hurt. As the masters head out, the limo that picked up the YOMI members from before arrive and everyone is shocked to see Berserker and a member named Lugh. Siegfried feels that it's almost natural that Berserker join since Ogata trained the other Ragnarök members and takes note that Ryūto is also there in the limo. As Lugh decides to test out the strength of the alliance, Ukita charges at him only for Siegfried to save him and states he had a bad feeling when he first saw him and realizes he doesn't see his opponents with his eyes, but rather, he sees them with his hands and ears and discovers that Lugh is blind. Siegfried then decides to charge at him due to his defence being strong and asking for him to be hit and Lugh does as he asks and snaps his neck. As Thor attempts to avenge him, his arm is broken by Lugh and Siegfried saves him with a kick and snaps his neck back into place admitting if not for his training in Tibet he'd be dead. He then notices that Lugh's fighting style revolves around locks. He continues to notice that Lugh is able to fight so well as Takeda steps in to fight him and takes notice that he's using a similar fighting style similar to his own. As Takeda prepares to sacrifice his left arm, Siegfried doesn't interfere, noting it's his fight, but is shocked to see Kenichi interfere, stating he can't just let his friend hurt himself in a fight like this, prompting Siegfried to agree since they are Katsujinken users. As Lugh decides to leave, he promises to crush Takeda first next time.
He later attends the amusement park with the rest of the Alliance. He then talks with Thor when Thor believes he saw Tanaka but Siegfried doesn't see anyone. At night, as Siegfried composes a song, he is interrupted by Hermit. He notes to himself that he always suspected Hermit being in YOMI even though he said he should have joined his side and jumps up to him stating he'll force him back as his comrade and that he isn't the type to preach to bad children who don't listen.They continue to fight as Siegfried complements his improved skills as Hermit does to Siegfried. Siegfried then asks why doesn't he play the "ensemble of friendship" with them but Hermit says it can't be helped due to how things ended up and all things must come to an end. Siegfried disagrees and clashes with him stating there are some things that will never end and this surprises Hermit as part of his coat is cut. There battle continues with both sides complimenting each others skills as Siegfried says he won't speak to someone as an equal who won't accept friendship which Hermit refuses to do so and they clash. Eventually, Siegfried is defeated by Hermit noting the slight difference in strength, demanding he realize what friends do to help polish ones skills. Hermit acknowledges his increased skills but tells him to not try to look down on him after losing. Siegfried just scoffs stating his reason that he still has a ways to go and if he'd fought with Kenichi now, he would definitely lose, much to Hermit's annoyance. As the amusement park continues to burn down, Siegfried along with the rest of the alliance leave after everyone else has been gathered.
Days later, Niijima greets most of the alliance after the battles and points out how Rachel and Chikage haven't gone to school lately and Tanimoto is going to school like nothing happened. When asked about Kenichi and Miu's whereabouts, Niijima states that they went to see the people who got out of the darkness: Ryūto and Rimi. Several days later, Siegfried along with the rest of the captains, gather at the base waiting for Kenichi and Miu. Kenichi and Miu notice that Apachai and Shigure have been waiting at the base asleep the whole time, waiting for everyone to show up. Shigure then wakes up and tells them that she has something to give them, and then takes the bag away from a sleeping Apachai and hands all of the captains the arm protectors that she made for them, then demonstrates how strong the gear is against a weapon, which amazes everyone.
Later, Kenichi and Miu inform him and the others of Shigure's capture, shocking everyone. Siegfried states that Yami's "overture" is coming to an end, which will probably lead to a sudden development. Once the alliance learns of her location, all the alliance members set out with Okamoto to find her. Siegfried was then present as he expresses his desire to help everyone fight against Yami. Just then Okamoto enters to tell them of there arrival and the Shinpaku Alliance readies for battle.
After Okamoto incapacitates the soldiers on the land, Siegfried and the others head for land into the forest. Once Yami soldiers show up, Siegfried engages battle with them with the others and advances forward with the rest as Okamoto decides to stay behind to hold them off. Once they reach a waterfall, they are confronted by the YOMI disciples. Siegfried calls out to Niijima, who tells Kenichi and Miu that they'll take advantage of the commotion and move on ahead. After seeing them launch towards them, Niijima tells Miu and Kenichi for them to take advantage of the situation and run. Though hesitant, the trio leave after Siegfried and the others encourage them to move ahead. After they leave, Siegfried and the others lunge towards the Satsujinken disciples.
He then battles Marmaduke's and Raki's disciples and deflects their attacks and Mildred's disciple's arrows back to her direction. He then warns the others of reinforcements arriving for YOMI. Hyōgo then proceeds to stab Thor on the shoulder and Siegfried comes to his aid but ends up being slash by Hyōgo's fellow kodachi disciple. As they continue to be overwhelmed by the armed division, Chikage suddenly defends them on the grounds that the armed division has no honour ganging up on them. Chikage replies that they will be supporting the Shinpaku Alliance, albeit temporarily, in order to protect their masters' pride.
Once they start to overwhelm the weapons team Hyōgo starts to have them work together more effectively. Just then, two masters: Sōgaku Chin (crescent moon spade) and Ortal Sin (jamadhar) arrive and begin to put pressure on them. However, Ryūto, Renka, Koan Shokatsu and Genson Ryu, Renka's fellow disciples, also arrive and attack the enemy reinforcements. Once Ryūto tells them what to do, Siegfried fights along side the alliance against Ortal Sin.
They all defeat the masters as after the armed forces retreat, they celebrate their victory.
In the Epilogue, Siegfried, along side Tsuji and Thor, start a rock band and become a huge hit.
- vs. various gangs (win)
- vs. Niijima (win by catching him in a chase)
- vs. Kenichi Shirahama (lose)
- vs. Berserker (lose)
- vs. Hermit (lose)
- with Hermit, Thor, Takeda and Ukita vs. Ragnarök thugs (win)
- with Kisara, Ukita, Takeda, and Shinpaku grunts vs. Raichi Li (lose)
- with Kenichi, Miu, Renka, Kisara, Takeda, Ukita, Niijima, and Shinpaku grunts vs. Tenmon Li (lose)
- with Ukita, Kisara, and Niijima vs. Capoeira team members (win)
- with Hermit, Thor, Kisara, Freya, Takeda, and Niijima vs. Fortuna (win)
- vs. Russian special ops commandos (win)
- with Freya, Takeda, and Kisara vs Yami weapon division (win)
- with Kenichi, Thor, Miu, Takeda, Kisara, Ukita, Freya, and Chikage vs Ishida (interrupted by Sakaki)
- He is named after Siegfried, a character from an opera of the same name by Richard Wagner, hence Siegfried's obsession with music. Keeping with the Norse mythology style of Ragnarök, Siegfried was a variation of Sigurd, son of Sigmund, a hero of Norse mythology who slew a dragon and bathed in its blood, gaining immortality, except for a single point which was covered by a fallen leaf.
- He is one of the very few Captain-ranked member of the Shinpaku Alliance that genuinely respects Niijima.
- During his fight with the Capoeira team in the D of D Tournament, the Ryōzanpaku Masters, impressed by his skills, comments that he, someday, will become a Master for sure.
- During the time he spent spinning in Tibet, he ate, drank, and urinated while being on top of the wheel.
- All of the songs he wrote became big hits and the Shinpaku Alliance earned over 6 million yen (ca. 57768 USD / 43718 EUR) from royalties.
- List of songs he wrote are:
- Encounter with Governor Niijima
- Shinpaku Alliance March
- Shinpaku Alliance Song Ver. 1
- Symphony of Friendship
- Attack of the Master Class
- He goes to a music high school, but always comes to Kōryō High School for his duty with Niijima and because he likes the atmosphere to compose songs. It's not problem for him since he's a super special student at his school. The other students at Kōryō High got used to him and he blends in perfectly.